Portfolio of Steven Kabachia
Currently, I am the English Language Arts team leader at Ecole Secondaire Lacombe Composite High School, a uniquely collaborative leadership position where duties are shared with the Social Studies leader as a department of the Humanities. My responsibilities, in addition to teaching ELA and Humanities, include collaboratively managing the department budget and determining teaching assignments, addressing conflicts regarding grades or assessment, managing the ELA department’s professional development according to individual interests and the strategic plans of school and division. I have been honoured to serve as a department head since 2007, and have taught at the school since 2002. Starting in 2009, I was also hired to serve as one of the school’s AISI (Alberta Initiative for School Improvement) facilitators, which entails planning and managing staff professional development at the school, coordinating with other AISI facilitators in the division, and coordinating local school activity with the goals of the school division.
Objective: a career path that will allow me to continue developing as professional and collaborator, while maintaining the delicate balance between career, and family. Specifically, I have seen AISI as an opportunity to continue developing professional expertise with teachers in a variety of subject areas and in all of the components of an Excellent Learning Environment, while exploring areas of interest for future academic growth. I look forward to exploring potential leadership roles, whether in a position of management or training.
- Presentations to Red Deer Public School teachers and English Language Arts Council: managing web 2.0 as a professional, Using Technology in the ELA Classroom.
- Working in collaboration with my LCHS AISI partner to implement WCPS Excellent Learning Environment vision in accordance with the Professional Development goals of LCHS teachers and our school’s strategic plan. Initiatives included the continuation of ‘Rocks & Rolls’ after-school PD opportunities for teachers; providing Web 2.0 and mobile technology learning opportunities for LCHS (Rocks & Rolls, PD Days) & WCPS teachers (2011 Summer Institute); creating and managing the LCHS Professional Learning Spaces Wiki – an idea that continues to evolve and for which I have a few ideas for further improvement based on teacher feedback and requests.
- Implemented the practice of Portfolio Assessment in ELA – using performance assessment to gauge student learning and incorporate student reflection in preparation for future courses and future endeavours.
- Becoming involved in the continued development of a Humanities Program – most recently, implementing the new Social Studies program of studies into a course which has been connecting ELA and Social Studies outcomes for nearly twenty years. Students navigate a project-based curriculum that emphasizes self-direction and collaboration in preparation for post-secondary study and/or their eventual careers. In this program we have been able to integrate technology in a variety of manners: Humanities 30; Humanities 20 (these links require separate permission for access).
- Integrating technology in the classroom – this used to mean using DVD technology to maximize the effectiveness of film and other media in the classroom. Now, it also includes digital citizenship, web 2.0 applications in the classroom, and sharing ideas and resources with other teachers.
- Presenter at English Language Arts Council (ELAC) Convention: using DVD film and clips in the ELA classroom (2006), using technology in the ELA classroom (2012)
- Assistant coach with Rams Football, primarily recievers and quarterbacks, teaching skills, managing player development, coordinating team and positional collaboration, and engaging with students as they learn about life through sport
- Please take the time to view this Wolf Creek Public Schools media release about our football team’s inclusive practices: MR_2012-04-17_Rams.
References – integrating technology:
Tony Cabay – AISI Facilitator and Math Lead Teacher LCHS – 403-782-6615 Ext. 5178, firstname.lastname@example.org
Christa Henderson – teacher of Social Studies and ELA – 403-782-6615 Ext. 5188, email@example.com
Corvin Uhrbach – former AISI Facilitator and current teacher of Social Studies – 403-782-6615 Ext. 5209, firstname.lastname@example.org, Mobile 403-357-0377
Trish Achtymichuk – teacher of ELA and Musical Theatre (Choral Music) – 403-355-1018, 403-782-6615, email@example.com
Letters of Reference:
T Achtymichuk – teacher of ELA and Musical Theatre (Choral Music)
C. Henderson – teacher of Social Studies and ELA